Sunday, January 25

An evening of contrasts

Last night I vegged on the sofa watching TV. I watched a mini-marathon of "What Not To Wear" and then "Miss America." Neither of these shows are usually on my list but I found them to be an escape, of sorts.

I watched Stacy and Clinton go through clothes and toss things that I recognize in my own closet! I wear a lot of t-shirts and jeans. I wear comfy sweats and flannel jammies too. Most days I really don't care what I look like because no one sees me in anything but my nursing scrubs anyway. I shop at thrift stores, WalMart and KMart. I've never been to NY and wouldn't know what to do with $5,000 to spend on clothes!? I need a haircut and should stop coloring my own hair too!

Does it really matter what you look like or how you dress? Stacy and Clinton think so!

I was touched by the way the girls they made over seemed to feel though. They all were radiant and more self-confident at the end of the show. Do new clothes really make you happy? Do high heels make you look beautiful? Does it really matter what you wear?

I get more pleasure out of seeing a beautiful cardinal at my bird feeder, a lovely flower or a sliced orange than shopping for clothes. I love seashells, candlelight, soft puppies, soft music, purring cats, a steaming cup of soup, the feel of sunshine on my face, and hugs from my kids.
I have memories more beautiful than any pair of shoes. . .

If you look closely at the pineapple photo you can see how God makes even a prickly plant beautiful. Roses bushes have thorns but produce the most beautiful flowers. His hand in nature makes all things beautiful! He can do that same in us regardless of what we wear.


Miss Katie Spam from Indiana
Photo from Newsday.com
This lovely young lady who won the Miss America pageant certainly is beautiful. What touched me most about her was the song she sang for the talent competition,"Via Dolorosa." Her sweet voice seemed to reach up to heaven. I'm sure that God has great plans for her life too.

"Down the Via Dolorosa called the way of suffering
Like a lamb came the Messiah, Christ the King
But He chose to walk that road out of His love for you and me
Down the Via Dolorosa, all the way to Calvary."


It matters not so much what you wear, but the song you carry in your heart...

1 comment:

  1. wonderfull <3
    I don't really think it matters what you wear.. for yourself, but the others. Some people have only a few seconds to know you better and thats impossible when they ask you questions, there's not the time for it, so those people look at you and then it might be helpful if you wear something that shows how you are :)
    but for yourself.. it doesn't really matter :)

    ReplyDelete