Friday, June 5

Soak up the sun or take Vitamin D?

I was surprised when my doctor recently told me that my Vitamin D level was low. I’ve spent lots of time in the sun and have the wrinkles and spots to prove it! 

orlando sentinel new smyrna beach

Did you know that sunscreen blocks the absorption of Vitamin D?  I didn’t.  It is important to use sunscreen! 

Vitamin D is essential for bone health and has many other benefits.  Low levels are also linked to fatigue, depression and some types of cancer too.  Since I work for a Rheumatology practice I’ve seen what that can do if not treated.

osteoporosis

I thought that just by working in my garden or going to the beach as often as I have that my Vitamin D level should be alright.  Vitamin D is not found in many foods. Some are supplemented, like orange juice.

vitamin-d-source vitamin_d3-300x300-710734 citracal

I have started taking Vitamin D daily along with my calcium supplement. I highly recommend that you have your Vitamin D level checked at your next office visit. Have a bone density test (DEXA scan) done too.  You may be surprised, as I was.

DEXA-2

There are many treatments for osteoporosis. Talk to your doctor about your options if you find out you are at risk! I know we all want to stay strong so we can continue to enjoy life.  Wishing you good health and strong bones!

Blessings, Kathi

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kathi! i have some new for you! You're the winner #1 of my giveaway! Please email me when you get a change, so I can have your address and send it to you. Congrats! Hugs, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that important reminder about Vitamin D...and thanks so much for stopping by and visiting my blog! I am happy to hear that I was able to extend to you a new idea (the ribbons) that you might be able to use! I hope to hear from you again and I will stop by to visit you too!

    Stay Cozy, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathi...you bet --time to take care isn't it? Thanks for the pointers.
    Can't wait to see Nugget in your handmade scarf!!! Thank-you kind-hearted friend for helping out! love, kelee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathi, Bogues is now open on Hwy. 280 near Inverness area. The original is down by St. Vincents Hospital. The rolls were to die for!

    ReplyDelete